Standard homeowners policies don’t cover flood damage to property and possessions. Instead, coverage must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a service offered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. For homeowners in high-risk areas, lenders generally require this coverage. For other consumers the coverage is optional.

Flood insurance is available for homeowners and businesses. Policies take effect 30 days after purchase, so it’s important to buy coverage before you need it. The cost of coverage depends on how much insurance is needed, what is covered and the flood risk of the area. More information on the NFIP can be obtained on the NFIP website or by contacting your Missouri Farm Bureau Agent.

Farm Bureau offers flood insurance for individuals in participating communities thru one of the NFIP backed Write Your Own carriers as well as options for individuals whose property is not located in a participating community.